13 December 2010

A Very Glee Christmas

With a few days to go before Christmas, I don't feel Christmasy for a reason I can't really point out. But I won't elaborate on that because I'll end up more confused. Anyway, due to my very odd shift I was only able to catch the Christmas episode of Glee last night. I've been a follower of this series since it started because it's light and funny. And I like music. Glee is a musical drama/comedy series aired in the US. It's about highschool kids who are in the glee club while dealing teenage issues in between.

This latest episode about Christmas moved me to tears. I don't easily get carried away with the shows I watch but this episode kind of made me nostalgic. Ugh.

What moved me was the part where Brittany, one of the cheerleaders and a member of the Glee club stereotyped as a dumb blonde, still believes in Santa Claus!!! Her wish for Christmas? To make her boyfriend, Artie, rise up from his wheelchair and walk again.


That's one big uh-oh. So the Glee kids ask one
stocky person at school, Coach Beiste, to pose as Santa and barge in at Brittany's house to tell her that she won't get her wish. It was so heartbreaking because she really believes in the magic of Santa. Imagine the disappointment.

But nearing the end of the show, they found a device under the tree that could help Artie walk again, even if only temporarily. He was able to stand up and walk a few steps. The Glee kids were in awe. He was a Christmas miracle.

It turned out that Coach Beiste gave it as a present, but of course, everybody else believed it was Santa.

I wouldn't stop crying at the end of the episode. I also believed in Santa when I was younger. And all my life, I've known the feeling when you really believe in something. Add to that the universe's hand to bring back your faith in humanity. It happens to me quite a lot: I believe in something, get disappointed, but in the end the issue will resolve itself. Then my faith is restored. That's why even if things seem impossible, I give a chance to believe in it.

Merry Christmas. I know Santa isn't real, but I'm still hoping for some magic that will make me feel the Christmas spirit. Because right now it feels like blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment